Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I’ve received about a dozen replies to “Oil Supply and Demand.”

I’ve received about a dozen replies to “Oil Supply and Demand.” About half of the replies were hostile and

insulting, which would seem to be a strange reaction considering that all I suggested is that oil production is

not peaking and that if it were government intervention wouldn’t help. These letters reinforce my suspicion

(expressed in “Oil and Instinct“) that economics is counter-instinctual. The worst ones I’ve ignored.

Here’s a message from Melvin Hoffman (italicized) and my replies:

I find it fascinating that the human brain could reach conclusions such as those posited by Mr. Koritz. First,

obviously fossil fuel sources are finite. No one has ever argued otherwise.

I’ve repeatedly defined the peak oil debate in terms of a current production decline or a near-term decline.

The fact that fossil fuels are finite is not necessarily relevant. If there were, (to use an absurd example)

say, ten million years’ worth of oil to burn, the amount of oil would be finite but it would be absurd (rather

than just incorrect) to argue that governments need to prepare us for the coming shortage.

Second, usage of fossil fuels have increased dramatically.

Yes, as has production of fossil fuels and just about everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment