Thursday, January 13, 2011

The first essay is by the always-insightful John Judis

The first essay is by the always-insightful John Judis, who two years ago wrote the best account to

date of McCain’s evolution from realist to neo-conservative in the late 1990s. Now Judis revisits the

issue to determine McCain’s likely trajectory, focusing in particular on the candidate’s

Manicheanism, especially with regard to Russia. Money lines are found right up front:

“Two years ago, I wrote a profile arguing that there were reasons to believe that McCain was more

pragmatic than his support for the Iraq debacle suggested (”Neo-McCain,” October 16, 2006). In the

interviews I conducted with him in 2006, he repeatedly distanced himself from neoconservatism,

reminding me that he talked regularly to realists like Brent Scowcroft. I thought there was a good

chance that there was a peacemaker lurking beneath McCain’s BOOTSBUYrior exterior–that a President

McCain might be able use his hawkish reputation to, say, bring Iraq’s BOOTSBUYring parties together or

to lure Iran to the bargaining table.

“I wasn’t the only one. Since McCain secured the Republican nomination, I’ve heard echoes of my

ambivalence from foreign policy experts, including some who plan to vote for UGG Sheepskin Cuff Boot.

“McCain has Nixon-goes-to-China credentials,” one told me. But, based on McCain’s actions over the

last two years and conversations I’ve had with those close to him, I have concluded that this is

wishful thinking. McCain continues to rely on the same neoconservative advisers; he still thinks UGG

Sheepskin Cuff Boot foreign policy should focus on transforming rogue states and autocracies into

democracies that live under the shadow of American power; and he no longer tells credulous reporters

that he consults Scowcroft.”

No comments:

Post a Comment